Wednesday, September 9, 2009

ACC redo

After the great response I got from my first college football post, I have decided to make my blog more of a college football blog rather than just about my life. I mean, let's be serious, I am not extremely witty or funny, so the more interesting thing for me to do would be to fill you in on my obsession...college football. This week it's all about an ACC redo. I mean, let's face it, the ACC was an embarrassment to me and all the college football fans out there that went to an ACC school(even college football fans that didn't go to an ACC school).
So here we go.... The ACC went 5-7 the OPENING week. For most respectable conferences, winning seven games is embarrassing, much less losing seven. When I watched the Alabama/Virginia Tech gameday and saw a sign that said "Almost Competitive Conference," I found myself agreeing. When teams like BYU and the WAC conference have an argument as to why they should get into a BCS game and the ACC has an opening week like this, it scares me a little. (Good thing we aren't as bad as the Big East who didn't even have a team in the top 25 until this week).
Here's to the good part though. I believe the ACC can change. After watching another epic battle between FSU and Miami(sorry Whitehills-me not included), I realized that the ACC can make a great comeback by the end of the season. One of the greatest aspects of college football is that you NEVER know what will happen next. Miami and Florida State(as hard as it is for me to say this) seem to be back on the rise. Now, as a Florida fan, I think this is still going to take awhile for them to get back to where they were, but I thoroughly enjoyed the game and I think it is good for college football for these two teams to be good. Since Virginia Tech and Boston College have arrived, the Big East (since these teams came from there) still makes arguments that they are a better football conference than the ACC, but I believe that with UNC, FSU, and Miami having a much better showing than say, Virginia Tech, this past week I think it is a great sign for the ACC. (Some of you may be saying to yourself that VT played Bama and they were supposed to look bad, but coming from a #6 position they shouldn't look that bad. Plus, "T-mobile" was a little embarrassing for you VT fans.) There are a few key games for the ACC to revive their season and to dismiss that William and Mary defeat....For instance, UVA and Clemson can come through and beat a WAC conference team in TCU, FSU can beat another WAC team in BYU and hopefully show BYU it was a little lucky to beat the Bradford-Gresham less Sooners on Saturday night. Virginia Tech can redeem themselves with a Big 12 win against Nebraska and Miami can do the same to Oklahoma(hopefully Bradford will return by then and make it a highly competitive game). I guess we shall say that BC can beat Notre Dame to help us gain respect, but after the slashing that the UNC women's soccer team put on the Notre Dame soccer team, it's hard for me to say 'respect.' And then of course there is the end of the season where the SEC/ACC rivalries come into play. Needless to say, A LOT of time for redemption. Maybe we can call this second week of college football a "redo" for the ACC. A kind of "first week" all over again so they can prepare for week three where a lot of ACC teams can really redeem the conference. I believe.
Here are my picks for the week. Let's see, I was 7-6 last week, which wasn't too good, but I changed some picks to compete with my dad and I ended up winning the weekend. I am going to try and do better this time....

Clemson at GT- GT
UNC at UConn-Go Heels
Stanford at Wake-WF
Troy at UF-Go Gators
TCU at UVA-TCU
Notre Dame at Mich-ND
UCLA at Tenn-Tenn
Vandy at LSU-LSU
South Carolina at UGA-Go Dawgs(please redeem yourself!)
Miss State at Auburn-Auburn
USC at Ohio State- USC

8 comments:

Katie M. said...

With the exception of the USC/Ohio State game [if only they could both lose..I don't even care who wins this I detest both teams] I agree with your picks this week! And thanks for including ND this week :-)

lynn said...

ok, i say that you got clemson-gt right; watching that game right now; poor clemson, they are not playing well. but i'm def pulling for michigan. they looked so much better last week. go heels! go noles!

number22 said...

All the other games are a mere distraction. The ND/Michigan game deserves our undivided attention. The Irish by 14.

ashpitt said...

you would be proud to know that i have officialy joined the merritt "arbitrary unit" betting game and selecting my weekly picks. who would have ever thought??? maybe i'll consult with your blog before making my final decisions....

Dr. Pants said...

Tech is going to be the best in the ACC this season. I'm a Gator fan but live in Atlanta, and since the enemy of my enemy is my friend, I pull for Georgia Tech.

Cat, I know you say you like the entire SEC - but how do the teams rank for you?

Katelyn said...

I love your "new" blog. I too am obsessed with college football and sit in front of the tv all day every Saturday in the fall! I agree with all your picks this week!

yvonnet11 said...

Great picks!! I love college fb too. It's better than the NFL
being from the oc, I'm a big USC fan. No way they're going to lose to slowhio state. Florida vs USC for the championship!

Anonymous said...

Cat your picks look good.. I hope you are right about the Dawgs. I think that is going to be a deciding game for Georgia. Mark will get them going. I also wish that college players could not go pro until they finish their college eligibility. Hope the Heels do well. Hadden III

Gameday hotel in Athens,GA!

Gameday hotel in Athens,GA!
Could my dad BE any happier!!!

My big sis is 30!

My big sis is 30!

Lookin snazzy ladies!

Lookin snazzy ladies!

Sailing anyone?

Sailing anyone?
A golf outing where we look soo cute! haha

Robert and Maeby

Robert and Maeby
Gangsta Mae(and robert we live on the east coast)

Typical Izzy

Typical Izzy
Worn out after helping the Mansfields move

Ginny, Brandt, and Me

Ginny, Brandt, and Me
we still look good in china! haha

A Tribute to Emily

A Tribute to Emily
She meant the world to ALL the whitehills

durham radius

durham radius
thanks michael and grace!

the whitehills

the whitehills
look at robert's new jacket, he is soo proud!