Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pet Peeve #1


For those of you that know me, you know how many crazy pet peeves I have in my life. Leaving the blinker on, smacking of gum, crunching of ice right in my ear, any kind of tick, and of course the "barely touching" are just to name a few. After this week of football, a few more pet peeves have been added to my list. I know that these two stories are already being run into the ground but frankly I want to add to the fire. When it comes to pet peeves, the only way to get rid of them is to tell everyone you know about them!

The first pet peeve has to do with everything surrounding Bobby Bowden. This peeve comes in the fact that the "big" donors are the ones asking for the retirement of Bowden, when the people who have the control are the ones trying to put out all the fire. When the president of your school and your athletic director are backing the coach, then I personally believe that everyone else should also leave it alone. I understand that people are entitled to their opinions(as I am doing right now), but when you think that your opinion will sway the people in charge to fire one of the greatest coaches of all time, then I find that a little annoying. I come from a position as a Florida fan who has never enjoyed the Bowden victories(especially the 31-31 tie, even though it wasnt considered a victory it sure did get under my skin!), yet as a person who appreciates how hard it must be to get as many wins as Bowden. Bobby should be able to retire whenever he wants to and he has obviously earned that right. Who's to say that one day soon Bobby does exactly what Joe Paterno has done-have some pretty subpar seasons and now at 83, he is leading a top 15 Penn State football team. It seems to me like Bobby has relinquished a lot of his duties on offense and defense, yet the team seems to do worse with lesser input. When I watched him step into the huddle right before the last play of the Miami game, it looked to me he made the play call which gave FSU it's best opportunity in the end zone. The guy just didn't catch it.

So for this pet peeve...let's just let the powers do their job, talk to our friends about our real opinions, and let one of the greatest football coaches of all time finish out his legacy when he so chooses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cat, Well said. The Georgia Call was really bad, and the LSU call was a makeup call. It is judgement call penalty. It is like pass interference. Every offical is different. Also agree about Bobby Bowden, so tired of people asking the same questions. Not unlike Tommy Tub, last year. (Gene is doing a great job but people expect too much from coaches. Hope you picks come true, I have a feeling that a couple aren't going to happen but I hope they do.
God Bless,
Hadden

Unknown said...

Nice - I will root for the Gators this weekend. Too much negative. Mediocre team right now but I still think we are getting better. Dean

Gameday hotel in Athens,GA!

Gameday hotel in Athens,GA!
Could my dad BE any happier!!!

My big sis is 30!

My big sis is 30!

Lookin snazzy ladies!

Lookin snazzy ladies!

Sailing anyone?

Sailing anyone?
A golf outing where we look soo cute! haha

Robert and Maeby

Robert and Maeby
Gangsta Mae(and robert we live on the east coast)

Typical Izzy

Typical Izzy
Worn out after helping the Mansfields move

Ginny, Brandt, and Me

Ginny, Brandt, and Me
we still look good in china! haha

A Tribute to Emily

A Tribute to Emily
She meant the world to ALL the whitehills

durham radius

durham radius
thanks michael and grace!

the whitehills

the whitehills
look at robert's new jacket, he is soo proud!