Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pet Peeve #2


Now for my second pet peeve. REFEREES! My dad always told me that his lease favorite thing about soccer was how the referees could change the game. With one blow of the whistle and a signal to the penalty spot, the momentum of the game changes and normally so does the outcome. As a former football player himself, he always knew the refs had some control, but he knew it was good control. Not until this weekend did he realize, and I am right with him, that the refs had WAY too much control. Of course there have been games before this past weekend where we all wanted to blame the refs, but knew the actual outcome of the game was not dictated by their calls. When the referees decided to call an unsportsmanlike penalty on AJ Green which was put on the kickoff and two plays later LSU runs in the winning touchdown, the refs had actually decided the outcome of the game.

When it comes to SEC football, every play matters. When it came down to last Saturday between the hedges, the tension was constantly mounting as the first half was a full defensive battle, but the fourth quarter was all about the offense. When 90,000 people are screaming at the top of their lungs, you just made one of the best catches of the season, and possibly the winning touchdown over a top 5 team, are you not supposed to celebrate? I have watched the replay over and over again in hopes that I find someone who tried to draw attention to himself or someone who just celebrated too long, but I just haven't found that someone. LSU fans can even argue that they also got the same call against them after they scored, but it never affected the outcome and we all know that the first call was the one that took all the momentum away from Georgia and it was just too late to get it back.

I feel bad for Georgia and all the players and coaches involved. I appreciate that the SEC is reprimanding these refs for the blatant bad call, but unfortunately it won't change the score. I feel bad for my dad as he realized that the one thing he hated about soccer has now come true to his first sports passion, college football. It was a sad day for all dawgs fans and I just hope it doesn't completely ruin this season.

So for this pet peeve...refs, try and call the game properly and don't leave your mark. No one remembers the refs UNLESS they make a bad call.

OK now for the picks and let me tell you I HAVE to make up for last week. I was 4-8, YIKES! That's really bad. I am letting myself go! Here we go for a better effort!

Neb vs Mizzou-Missouri
BC vs Va Tech- Va Tech
Aub vs Ark- Aub
UGA vs UT- Go DAWGS
Kent vs South Carolina- S. Carolina
Bama vs Ole Miss-Bama
Oregon vs UCLA-Oregon
Georgia Southern vs UNC-Go HEELS
Maryland vs Wake Forest-Wake
UF vs LSU-GO GATORS
GT vs FSU-FSU
Mich vs Iowa- Mich

1 comment:

jingalls said...

glad to say your nebraska/missouri predictin was wrong. and idefinately echo the refs/bad call thing. its flaring back up in the epl.

Gameday hotel in Athens,GA!

Gameday hotel in Athens,GA!
Could my dad BE any happier!!!

My big sis is 30!

My big sis is 30!

Lookin snazzy ladies!

Lookin snazzy ladies!

Sailing anyone?

Sailing anyone?
A golf outing where we look soo cute! haha

Robert and Maeby

Robert and Maeby
Gangsta Mae(and robert we live on the east coast)

Typical Izzy

Typical Izzy
Worn out after helping the Mansfields move

Ginny, Brandt, and Me

Ginny, Brandt, and Me
we still look good in china! haha

A Tribute to Emily

A Tribute to Emily
She meant the world to ALL the whitehills

durham radius

durham radius
thanks michael and grace!

the whitehills

the whitehills
look at robert's new jacket, he is soo proud!